St John’s Church
Sunday Worship 11 am
St John’s Church is one of three remaining octagonal Methodist churches; this shape was favoured by John Wesley. It is the second oldest Methodist Church in Scotland, having been opened by John Wesley in 1772. Known as the ‘Totum Kirkie’, it takes its name from an eight sided spinning top.
Our clothing project started in 2017, providing good quality, mostly second-hand clothing to those in need. We cover all of Angus and have had referrals from Montrose, Brechin, Forfar as well as Arbroath. Clients are referred by other agencies.
We have received lots of donations of clothing, and have had some very successful fundraising from a Coffee Morning and also a Craft Fair; we use the funds to buy underwear, socks etc. for those who attend. A recent appeal for men’s hats and scarves was also very successful so we are well kitted out to serve the community.
The members of the congregation have found that it has been really good working together on this and they have a much deeper fellowship and are enjoying working with many different people in the congregation who have become involved.
We are really delighted with this, as it epitomises what we – across Scotland – are being encouraged to do, in embracing social action as part of looking at who we are as Methodists and what we bring to our communities.